For decades, the city of Los Angeles has addressed its growing homeless population through dehumanizing policies of criminalization, the destruction of vital personal belongings, and banishment. Using the example of the Los Angeles Community Action Network’s (LA CAN) highly effective “Community Watch” program in the heavily policed neighborhood of Skid Row, DSA-LA and LA CAN have partnered to create a city-wide Street Watch coalition of grassroots organizations and community members that seek to empower and protect the rights of poor and unhoused people across LA County through a variety of direct engagements and actions. These include but are not limited to: the tracking of encampments and encampment sweeps, consistent outreach to encampment residents to inform them of their rights and encourage them to organize and join the broader movement for housing as a human right, and more.
Join us for one of two regional Street Watch meetings & trainings to get plugged into this important work and help us strategize for the months ahead! You may also join our other meeting location in Central LA.
- LAVC is accessible via Metro bus lines 154, 156, 167, and 656.
- Orange Line stops at the Valley College Station.
- The nearest stop via the Red Line is the North Hollywood Station.
- You can find out more here: https://www.metro.net/riding/colleges/lavc/
- A day pass at all of LAVC's parking lots costs $2. The day pass can be bought at the parking machines at any of the parking lots.
- For cash payments, please have exact change, as the machines do not give change.
- You can find more info on parking here: https://www.lavc.edu/sheriff/Parking-Information.aspx
- June 22, 2019 at 1pm to 3pm
Los Angeles Valley College - Room ACA 1806
5800 Fulton Ave
Van Nuys, CA 91401
View on Google Maps
Housing & Homelessness Committee