This May, DSA Los Angeles will be holding elections for the next Steering Committee, and Nominations will officially open on Thursday, May 2.
Here are all the important dates on the timeline:
Thursday, May 2nd - Steering Committee nominations open
- Online form will be emailed to membership
Wednesday, May 8th - Steering Committee nominations close
- Online form will close at 11:59 p.m.
Saturday, May 11th - final candidate list and statements released to membership
Saturday, May 18th - in-person candidate forum (details TBD) followed by 48 hours of online voting
Please be sure to pay your national dues or request Comrades for Comrades support by May 13 in order to be eligible to run as a Local Officer and to receive your ballot.
Replacing the current Steering Committee that was elected in November 2018, the incoming Steering Committee will serve until November 2019, when the outgoing Steering Committee's term would have ended — at which point we will elect another Steering Committee for a 1-year term. The Steering Committee is comprised of a Recording Secretary, Communications Director, Treasurer, and six at-large members. Per our organizational bylaws, see descriptions and duties of the Steering Committee below.
COMPOSITION OF STEERING COMMITTEE
Local Officers shall be elected for a 1-year term; the Steering Committee is comprised of a Recording Secretary, Communications Director, Treasurer, and six at-large members.
The Recording Secretary will be responsible for
- The taking of minutes of all Steering Committee meetings, and shall have custody of these minutes, and resolutions, reports and other official records of the Local.
- Ensuring that key decisions and meeting minutes are available to members of the Local.
- Maintaining detailed and accurate membership records in coordination with the Membership Committee, as well as Local bylaws and official Local organizational policies.
- Transferring all records to their successor at the end of each their term.
The Communications Director will be responsible for
- Coordinating public-facing statements from the Local, including but not limited to the DSA-LA website, social media, and blog.
- Coordinating regular internal email newsletters and announcements.
- Coordinating a Communications Committee that includes representatives from each Local Group in the chapter, to ensure that both external and internal communications accurately represent work done across all of the Local’s groups.
The Treasurer will be responsible for the funds and financial records of the Local. All funds collected by the Local will be turned over to the Treasurer, who shall deposit them in a bank account under the name of the Local. In cooperation with the Communications Director, the Treasurer will be responsible for ensuring that membership dues are paid up-to-date. The Treasurer will prepare the annual Local budget, and deliver the Local financial report to the Annual Convention of the Local, as well as periodic progress reports as requested by the Steering Committee of the Local.
At-large officers of the chapter serve as members of the Steering Committee and are responsible for ensuring all Steering Committee work is executed in accordance with the Local’s Mission and Organizational Priorities.
DUTIES OF THE STEERING COMMITTEE
The Steering Committee’s duties shall include:
- Facilitating and planning meetings of the Local at least six times annually, including the Annual Convention
- Accepting proposals and facilitating votes for updates to the Local Mission Statement, Organizational Priorities, and Bylaws.
- Ensuring that the Communications Coordinator, Recording Secretary, and Treasurer have sufficient resources and help to perform their duties.
- Evaluating proposals and analyses in accordance with Article VI.
- Overseeing Local communication and coordination with other DSA Locals and responsibilities to DSA National
- Facilitating coordination between Local Subgroups and ensuring that all projects are executed in keeping with the Local-wide Mission Statement and Organizational Priorities.
- Drafting and executing Local administrative policy in accordance with the Local Organizational Priorities to ensure the smooth working of the Local
- Requesting and receiving regular reports from all Local Subgroup Coordinators
- Empowering and overseeing a fundraising committee