DSA-LA JOBS BOARD [Last Updated March 2019]
Looking for a way to get connected? The DSA Los Angeles Jobs Board is a regularly updated document that lists concrete ways in which DSA members, new and old, can get involved in the chapter's work. All of these tasks are great places to start, even if you're brand new to DSA-LA and activism in general. Full training and support will be provided for everything listed. Also be sure to check out our calendar for any upcoming events!
Agitation & Propaganda
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute to a variety of political multi-media projects:
- Creating media for our dues drive
- Create a flyer for an upcoming Brake Light Clinic
Contact email@example.com to build solidarity in the following ways:
- Would you like to help provide security at our events? Would you like training on deescalation and general security practices? Join our Marshal team! We need 2 volunteers for each of the three Branch meetings in April. Use [Marshal] in the subject line.
- Volunteer for Child Watch! Help our comrades who are parents to fully participate by keeping an eye on our tiniest comrades in 30 minute shifts during chapter meetings. Use [Child Watch] in the subject line
- Sign up for our Brake Light Clinic. We need volunteers to scout out locations, help make flyers for the event and posting them, and with the event itself by replacing brake lights and guiding traffic. Use [Brake Light Clinic] in the subject line
- Create a flyer for our upcoming Brake Light Clinic
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to fight the LA 2028 games’ gentrification, militarization, and attack on democracy in the following ways:
- Translate/Interpret Japanese <-> English
- Contribute research for power-mapping or write historical articles
- Coordinate outreach with various organizations in our coalition, journalists, and research institutions/universities
- Archiving and record-keeping
- Wikipedia editing
Contact email@example.com to fight for justice for immigrants in the following ways:
- Researcher: Research current policy, candidates, and immigrant rights to help us abolish ICE
- Help make signs for Armenian Genocide Day and Venezuelan solidarity events
- Border Support: We need volunteers with medical, legal, and deescalation skills to help migrants at the border. Bilingual preferred, not required.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to spread class consciousness in the following ways:
- Distill key points from Class on Class presentations/discussion to share broadly with interested DSA-LA members and other interested chapters (potentially working with comrades on the AgitProp Committee)
- Research and write social media posts relevant to political education - posts that both feature contemporary content, and amplifying socialist histories
- Help plan two education events focused on housing justice and the right to the city
- Contribute reading suggestions to our forthcoming study series on Imperialism
Contact email@example.com to push for healthcare as a human right in the following ways:
- RESEARCH - The healthcare committee needs help mapping power in LA (basic google research skills are fine; advanced skills are cool too) and working on public records requests. We will train on records requests and deeper investigative methods
- TABLING/CANVASSING - we're looking for a few new members to help with logistics (and getting on board to table/canvas). If you like talking to people IRL, let us know.
LA teachers went on a historic strike for 6 days to win smaller class sizes and nurses in all schools. But the school board is currently split between charter school lobby-backed candidates who want to privatize the public schools, and union-backed candidates who want to protect public education. The swing seat is open, and we have a chance to change the course of the second largest school district in the country!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to agitate for the decent treatment of the working class in the following ways:
DSA-LA will be engaging in labor solidarity support campaigns for our fellow workers in UTLA, UNITE HERE, and NUHW over the course of the next several months. We need you to provide the community support these workers need in order to win their fights for better working conditions!
Contact email@example.com to build a base for eco-socialism in Los Angeles:
- Work with the Transit Committee to push for equitable and effective transit in LA
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to help spread the good word of socialism on social media and through our news website and newsletter The Thorn:
- Draft social media assets for the communications committee, including sample tweets, graphics/memes, and other messaging items.
- Write blurbs summarizing local news stories that will be published in a weekly news round-up
- Write longer-form pieces elaborating on news trends or chapter work to also be included in the news round-up
Housing and Homelessness
Contact email@example.com to get involved in the fight alongside our unhoused neighbors for our right to the city.
- Join a Street Watch team to help us monitor the criminalization of the homeless. Hollywood and Chinatown could use more people especially.
- Attend an action on March 18th to pressure CA state Assemblymember Jesse Gabriel to support statewide rent control, especially people who live in AD-45 (west San Fernando Valley)
- Help film an action on March 20th where we will demand the city convert their vacant property to permanent supportive public housing. As part of this action we need people to give public comment at the City Council Homeless and Poverty Committee Meeting that day
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute in any of the following ways:
Support monthly chapter meetings at the Central, Westside, and SFV chapter meetings
- Work the sign-in table
- Work the dues-station
- Sign up for a half hour-hour long child watch shift (training provided!)
- Organize snacks/food
- Member mobilization
- Member data entry and maintenance
- Write communications to new members
- Help create zines, flyers, and other literature as part of the Materials Subcommittee
- Organize, host, or attend a zine folding party! (training provided)
- Share access to free/cheap printing and office supplies
- Strengthen the organization by coordinating with other committees as part of the Liaison Subcommittee
Contact email@example.com to get involved in the following ways:
- Manage a spreadsheet tracking points of contact and regular meetings/events of ally organizations.
- Draft social media assets for the local's communications committee, including sample tweets, graphics/memes, and other messaging items.
- Update and refine a “What is Prison Abolition” zine
- Help prepare short and long-term committee goals for Los Angeles