DSA-LA JOBS BOARD [Last Updated June 2019]
Looking for a way to get connected? The DSA Los Angeles Jobs Board is a regularly updated document that lists concrete ways in which DSA members, new and old, can get involved in the chapter's work. All of these tasks are great places to start, even if you're brand new to DSA-LA and activism in general. Full training and support will be provided for everything listed. Also be sure to check out our calendar for any upcoming events!
Contact email@example.com to build a base for eco-socialism in Los Angeles:
- Phone bank & canvass for Loraine Lundquist. District 12's City Council election is on August 13 and we have phone banking every night (remote or in the campaign office) and canvasses every Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm.
- Help us power-map to track legislators, legislation and local climate actions.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to fight for justice for immigrants in the following ways:
- Research: Abolish ICE, Open Borders, Housing
- Agitation and Propaganda: Explainer videos, zines, buttons, signage
- Donation Drive for the Border: We need a coordinator
- ICE Out of LA Coalition liaison
Finance & Fundraising
Contact email@example.com to help us get the resources necessary for our work:
- Volunteer to run the merchandise table at chapter meetings
- Help plan and work on upcoming fundraising events
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute in any of the following ways:
Support monthly chapter meetings at the Central, Westside, and SFV chapter meetings
- Work the sign-in table
- Work the dues-station
- Sign up for a half hour-hour long child watch shift (training provided!)
- Organize snacks/food
- Member mobilization
- Member data entry and maintenance
- Write communications to new members
- Help create zines, flyers, and other literature as part of the Materials Subcommittee
- Organize, host, or attend a zine folding party! (training provided)
- Share access to free/cheap printing and office supplies
- Onboard new members at meet & greets and trainings
Agitation & Propaganda
Contact email@example.com to contribute to a variety of political multi-media projects:
- Creating media for our dues drive
- Create a flyer for an upcoming Brake Light Clinic
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to build solidarity in the following ways:
- Would you like to help provide security at our events? Would you like training on deescalation and general security practices? Join our Marshal team! We need 2 volunteers for each of the three Branch meetings in July. Use [Marshal] in the subject line.
- Volunteer for Child Watch! Help our comrades who are parents to fully participate by keeping an eye on our tiniest comrades in 30 minute shifts during chapter meetings. Use [Child Watch] in the subject line
- Sign up for our Brake Light Clinic. We need volunteers to scout out locations, help make flyers for the event and posting them, and with the event itself by replacing brake lights and guiding traffic. Use [Brake Light Clinic] in the subject line
- Create a flyer for our upcoming Brake Light Clinic
Contact email@example.com to fight the LA 2028 games’ gentrification, militarization, and attack on democracy in the following ways:
- Translate/Interpret Japanese <-> English
- Contribute research for power-mapping or write historical articles
- Coordinate outreach with various organizations in our coalition, journalists, and research institutions/universities
- Archiving and record-keeping
- Wikipedia editing
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to spread class consciousness in the following ways:
- Research and write social media posts relevant to political education - posts that both feature contemporary content, and amplifying socialist histories
- Contribute reading suggestions to our forthcoming study series on Imperialism
Contact email@example.com to push for healthcare as a human right in the following ways:
- RESEARCH - The healthcare committee needs help mapping power in LA (basic google research skills are fine; advanced skills are cool too) and working on public records requests. We will train on records requests and deeper investigative methods
- TABLING/CANVASSING - we're looking for a few new members to help with logistics (and getting on board to table/canvas). If you like talking to people IRL, let us know.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to agitate for the decent treatment of the working class in the following ways:
DSA-LA will be engaging in labor solidarity support campaigns for our fellow workers in UTLA, UNITE HERE, and NUHW over the course of the next several months. We need you to provide the community support these workers need in order to win their fights for better working conditions!
Contact email@example.com to help spread the good word of socialism on social media and through our news website and newsletter The Thorn:
- Draft social media assets for the communications committee, including sample tweets, graphics/memes, and other messaging items.
- Write blurbs summarizing local news stories that will be published in a weekly news round-up
- Write longer-form pieces elaborating on news trends or chapter work to also be included in the news round-up
Housing and Homelessness
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved in the fight alongside our unhoused neighbors for our right to the city.
- Join a Street Watch team to help us monitor the criminalization of the homeless. Hollywood and Chinatown could use more people especially.
- Attend the Housing and Homelessness Committee Culture Forum on June 30th
Contact email@example.com to get involved in the following ways:
- Manage a spreadsheet tracking points of contact and regular meetings/events of ally organizations.
- Draft social media assets for the local's communications committee, including sample tweets, graphics/memes, and other messaging items.
- Update and refine a “What is Prison Abolition” zine
- Help prepare short and long-term committee goals for Los Angeles