DSA-LA JOBS BOARD [Last Updated Sept 2018]
The DSA Los Angeles Jobs Board is a regularly updated document that lists concrete ways in which DSA members, new and old, can get concretely involved in the chapter's work. We're all here to build socialism, so let's roll up our sleeves and get to work.
Join our Prop10 Campaign to Repeal Costa Hawkins
Contact Housing and Homelessness Committee at email@example.com and check the dsa-la.org/calendar to get involved in the following ways:
1) Canvass data entry & maintenance: record responses from our canvasses and ensure that we're able to effectively follow up with the tenants we meet.
2) Join City-wide Canvasses for Prop 10:
- Sunday morning (10/21)
- Saturday morning (11/3)
- Monday evening (11/5)
3) Phonebank the community for Prop10
- Every Wednesday night until the election (10/17, 10/24, 10/31) and 11/3, 11/4, 11/5
- Virtual phone or text bank (from home, whenever you have time!). Sign up at dsa-la.org/calendar to get instructions.
4) Volunteer for the Prop 10 Campaign – want to volunteer beyond DSA-hosted events? Check out the Prop 10 volunteer calendar for all Prop 10 events in Los Angeles and Orange County: www.prop10fortenants.com/greater_los_angeles
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved in the fight alongside our unhoused neighbors for our right to the city.
1) Join Street Watch to do bi-weekly outreach with your unhoused neighbors (Venice, NOHO, Echo Park, Hollywood, NELA)
2) Help research Homeless Shelter Alternatives models and policy (can do from home)
Class on Class Study Series
Full details on this ongoing 4-part class that goes through 11/1 can be found at dsa-la.org/class_on_class
Email email@example.com to contribute to the Class in the following ways:
- Write promotional & educational social media content through October
- Print and bring DSA-LA materials to the Classes
- Text & phonebank members to invite them to upcoming classes
Right to the City Community Forum: Tenant Power and the Protection of Our Community (9/27)
Contact Immigration Justice Committee to support this forum in the following ways at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canvass to spread the word about the forum in MacArthur Park/Pico Union on Sunday morning (9/23)
- Flyer community bulletin boards
- Help create an art board for the forum
- Coordinate and contribute to potluck
- Contribute to child watch for ~30 min during forum
Build our Membership across LA!
Contact email@example.com to contribute in any of the following ways:
Support monthly chapter meetings at the Central, Westside, and SFV chapter meetings
- Work the sign-in table
- Work the merchandise table
- Work the dues-station
- Sign up for a half hour-hour long child watch shift (training provided!)
- Organize snacks/food
- Join a training in our new text-based turn-out tool on Tuesday evening (10/6)
- Member data entry and maintenance
- Write communications to new members
- Organize, host, or attend a zine folding party! (training provided)
- Share access to free/cheap printing and office supplies
- Work to keep this Job Board updated!
Advancing a Public Bank for Los Angeles
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to pass Measure B this November and advance our efforts to build a Public Bank!
- Text bank for Charter Amendment B on at 7 pm on Monday, October 22nd in Los Feliz. We only have a few weeks to get the word out and text banking has been one of the most efficient ways to get in touch with voters but we need your help. RSVP to this email or on the event page for the address.
- Go to the Defundraiser for Public Bank before the chapter meeting this Saturday!
Lots of great comedians including Eric Andre and James Adomian, this is a final push to raise money for Charter Amendment B before the election. A quick step you can take right now to help spread the word about this event and measure is to go on and invite all your friends!
- Support the organization of a participatory, educational event for members (focused on the Public Bank) by:
- Identifying and booking an affordable, accessible venue
- Program development (identifying and inviting speakers and moderators
- Selecting recommended readings
- Coordinating a potluck
- Event promotion: writing social media content
Raise Awareness around Prison Abolition
Contact email@example.com to get involved in the following ways:
- Build a spreadsheet tracking points of contact and regular meetings/events of ally organizations.
- Draft social media assets for the local's communications committee, including sample tweets, graphics/memes, and other messaging items.
- Update and refine a “What is Prison Abolition” zine
- Help prepare short and long-term committee goals for Los Angeles
Join the NOlympics Campaign!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to fight the LA 2028 games’ gentrification, militarization, and lack of democracy in the following ways:
- Volunteer to join a ‘street team’ for direct action and outreach
- Coordinate outreach with various organizations in the NOlympics coalitio
- Contribute research to power-mapping, articles, and writing projects
- Archiving and recordkeeping
Join our Agitation & Propaganda team!
Contact email@example.com to contribute to a variety of political multi-media projects, if you have the following skills:
- Animators to join our animation team
- Sound engineers
- Graphic Designers
- Video editor for a housing justice doc.
- Writers to help with re-writes on upcoming History of American Socialism scripts and What is Capitalism video
Build Solidarity with Religions Organizations
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to build this area of work in the following ways:
- Map religious organizations in LA, and maintain a calendar
- Help personalize literature and pamphlets
- Find opportunities around the state to work with the Poor People’s Campaign
- Organize and host community meals