DSA-LA JOBS BOARD [Last Updated Sept 2018]
The DSA Los Angeles Jobs Board is a regularly updated document that lists concrete ways in which DSA members, new and old, can get concretely involved in the chapter's work. We're all here to build socialism, so let's roll up our sleeves and get to work.
#StrikeReady – show up to support our fellow workers
- 12/19: Join the Labor Committee at one of our #StrikeReady War Room meetings being held at AFSCME 36 to learn more about how DSA-LA will be supporting unions in their contract negotiations throughout December and January, and how you can be plugged into that work!
- 12/10: Join the labor committee on the picket line. NUHW mental health clinicians are striking against Kaiser
- 12/15: Show up at the March for Public Education in support of public school teachers who are preparing for a strike.
- 12/19: Join DSA-LA as we attend an Art Build UTLA is putting on to make creative murals and art in support of public education. This is being held at SPARC LA in Venice
- Additionally, please contact email@example.com to get involved with picket line support. We're still waiting to hear from unions about specific dates and times, but we should know that by the labor committee meetings that are coming up
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved in the fight alongside our unhoused neighbors for our right to the city.
1) Join Street Watch to do bi-weekly outreach with your unhoused neighbors (Venice, NOHO, Echo Park, Hollywood, NELA)
2) Help research Homeless Shelter Alternatives models and policy (can do from home)
Contact email@example.com to spread class consciousness in the following ways:
- RSVP and come to the PolEd Meeting + Holiday Social and Book Exchange on Dec. 15 @ 3pm
- Support the Pasadena “Protect the Wage” Campaign. Help us research and create educational materials in support of this campaign in collaboration with the Labor Committee, Pasadenans Organizing for Progress (POP), and National Day Laborers Organizing Network (NDLON)
Build our Membership across LA!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute in any of the following ways:
Support monthly chapter meetings at the Central, Westside, and SFV chapter meetings
- Work the sign-in table
- Work the merchandise table
- Work the dues-station
- Sign up for a half hour-hour long child watch shift (training provided!)
- Organize snacks/food
- Member mobilization:
- Member data entry and maintenance
- Write communications to new members
- Organize, host, or attend a zine folding party! (training provided)
- Share access to free/cheap printing and office supplies
- Work to keep this Job Board updated!
Raise Awareness around Prison Abolition
Contact email@example.com to get involved in the following ways:
- Build a spreadsheet tracking points of contact and regular meetings/events of ally organizations.
- Draft social media assets for the local's communications committee, including sample tweets, graphics/memes, and other messaging items.
- Update and refine a “What is Prison Abolition” zine
- Help prepare short and long-term committee goals for Los Angeles
Join the NOlympics Campaign!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to fight the LA 2028 games’ gentrification, militarization, and lack of democracy in the following ways:
- Volunteer to join a ‘street team’ for direct action and outreach
- Coordinate outreach with various organizations in the NOlympics coalitio
- Contribute research to power-mapping, articles, and writing projects
- Archiving and recordkeeping
Fight for Immigration Justice
Contact email@example.com to fight for justice for immigrants in the following ways:
- Policy Researchers – Build our local knowledge base regarding government agencies, immigrants rights, and current policy
- Write and produce zines, blog posts, FAQ’s, Know Your Rights lit, and other content
- Monitor ICE Out of LA’s Deportation Watch and create graphic summaries to share on social media
- Archivists – Develop a library of relevant materials
Join our Agitation & Propaganda team!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute to a variety of political multi-media projects, if you have the following skills:
- Animators to join our animation team
- Sound engineers
- Graphic Designers
- Video editor for a housing justice doc.
- Writers to help with re-writes on upcoming History of American Socialism scripts and What is Capitalism video
Build Solidarity with Mutual Aid
Contact email@example.com to build solidarity in the following ways:
- Would you like to help provide security at our events? Would you like training on de-escalation and general security practices? Join our Marshal program! We need 2 volunteers for each of the three Branch meetings in December. Use [Marshal] in the subject line.
- Help with Child Watch! Help our comrades who are parents to fully participate by keeping an eye on our tiniest comrades in 30 minute shifts during chapter meetings. Use [Child Watch] in the subject line
- Sign up for our Brake Light Clinic. We need volunteers to scout out locations, help make flyers for the event and posting them, and with the event itself by replacing brake lights and guiding traffic. Use [Brake Light Clinic] in the subject line