Why are we having elections?
- Our current executive committee consists of our committee co-chairs, who have not been democratically elected by our members. In order to be a democratic organization that is responsive to our membership, we need to instead have an elected steering committee. This committee will serve for a period of six months, during which they’ll develop new policies and leadership structures that will enable us to continue to democratically elect our leadership in the future.
Who are we electing, who is eligible to run, and who is eligible to vote?
- We are electing a 9-person steering committee, comprised of 3 members in specific roles (Communications Secretary, Treasurer, and Young Democratic Socialists Coordinator) and 6 at-large members.
- To run for a seat on the steering committee, you must be a member of DSA-LA in good standing with the chapter. You must also have paid national dues by April 15 and local dues by May 12. In addition, in order to ensure that candidates have contributed productively to DSA-LA, you must have the endorsement of a DSA-LA committee co-chair. (We’ll ask you for their name and then ask them if they indeed endorse you.) The election coordinating committee may make exceptions to dues requirements on the basis of financial hardship.
- To vote in the election, you must be a member of DSA-LA in good standing with the chapter, and must have paid national dues by May 12. Again, the election coordinating committee may make exceptions to dues requirements on the basis of financial hardship.
What do I need to do to declare candidacy?
- Please ask a committee co-chair who you’ve worked with in DSA if they would be willing to endorse you and then fill out this form. A member of the Elections Coordinating Committee will be in contact for the next steps.
What do I need to do to nominate someone else for candidacy?
- Please fill out this form. A member of the Elections Coordinating Committee will be in contact with the person you nominate.
When are the important dates for the election?
- Saturday, April 29: Deadline to nominate yourself or someone else.
- Tuesday, May 2: Deadline to submit a candidate statement if you haven’t already with your nomination.
(Edit, May 5th: We are still working on the dates, at this point it is looking like everything will be pushed back about a week. We apologize for any confusion)
- Weekend - May 6-7: Candidate information will be posted on DSA-LA’s website. Ballots will be made available to members by email (or by mail if we don’t have your email address, but then how are you reading this?).
- TBA: Candidate forum: Ask the candidates your questions! Time and place TBA.
- TBA: Deadline to vote.
- TBA : Ballot tallying and announcement of results. Time and place TBA.
What will the responsibilities of the steering committee be?
- The steering committee as a whole will administer the affairs of DSA-LA, oversee the implementation of decisions of membership meetings, act on any matter that requires immediate and urgent action, and coordinate both a democratic bylaws revision process over the next six months and an open and fair elections process at the end of that term.
- The Communication Secretary is responsible for DSA-LA’s communications media, including our email list and website.
- The Treasurer is responsible for DSA-LA’s finances, accounting for and budgeting our money.
- The Young Democratic Socialists Coordinator is responsible for collaborating with youth and students to organize YDS chapters on college and high school campuses and to integrate youth into the work of DSA-LA.
- The steering committee will also select particular members of it to prepare agendas, record meeting minutes, communicate with National DSA, receive concerns and questions from DSA-LA members, and speak on behalf of DSA-LA to media and other organizations. Such responsibilities may rotate or be shared among members of the steering committee.
If you would like additional details, please see these more detailed notes. If you have additional questions, comments, concerns, or if you would like volunteer to help facilitate the election (please!), please email us at email@example.com.
Thank you all for your participation in this democratic process.