Join the Climate Justice and Political Education committees of DSA-LA for a 2-part special event on the dire choice our planet must make: Ecosocialism, or Greed & Barbarism. These classes, along with the suggested readings and videos that accompany them, take us from the current state of the climate crisis to the potential not-so-distant futures we face.
Part 1 on Greed & Barbarism is a look at what led to our climate catastrophe, the ecofacisist response that has already begun, and what happens if we continue with capitalism's "business as usual."
Part 2 offers a solution to this impending apocalypse in the form of Ecosocialism, connecting the future we need to build to the current COVID-19 crisis. Each class will include short presentations on the main topics, followed by longer, facilitated group discussions.
Preregistration for this event is required. Use the links below to RSVP. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with the information on how to join these meetings.
Part 1: Greed & Barbarism - May 16th
Suggested readings for Part 1
- "Making War on the Planet" - John Bellamy Foster, Monthly Review
- "Climate Chaos Is Coming - and the Pinkertons Are Ready" - Noah Gallagher Shannon, The New York Times Magazine
Suggested readings for Part 2. Note: there's a lot to cover here! If you don't finish it all, don't worry - we'll recap what you missed at the event.
- "Ecosocialism and Democratic Planning" - Michael Lowy, Ecosocialism: A Radical Alternative to Capitalist Catastrophe
- "Which Way Can Save the Planet: Cuba's Socialist Planning or the 'Magic of the Marketplace'?" - Judy Yang and Joyce Chediac, Liberation
- "Care and Repair: Left Politics in the Age of Climate Change" - Naomi Klein, Dissent Magazine
- VIDEO - A Planet to Win webinar with Alyssa Battistoni, Daniel Aldana Cohen & Thea Riofranco - DSA (all of it is great, but if you don't have time, focus on the first hour)
- May 30, 2020 at 11am to 1:30pm
Political Education & Climate Justice Committees