It’s time to elect a new leadership body! In December, DSA Los Angeles will be holding elections for the next Steering Committee and Branch Coordinator terms, which begins in January 2020. The new Steering Committee and Branch Coordinators will help lead the chapter throughout 2020.
The candidate filing period is officially open -- you can submit your candidacy for a position on the DSA-LA Steering Committee or Branch Coordinator by filling out the form here. The nominations period closes on Wednesday, December 4th at 11:59 PM!
Please be sure to pay your national dues or request Comrades for Comrades support by Wednesday, December 4th in order to be eligible to run as a Local Officer.
UPDATE 12/5: There have been no candidate submissions for the position of Treasurer. The deadline to submit your candidacy for the position of Treasurer has been extended to Friday, December 6th at 11:59PM. Please submit your candidacy here. This page will be updated on Saturday, December 7th with submitted candidate statements.
- Several candidates for Steering Committee At-Large have chosen to withdrawn their candidacy. There remains five At-Large Steering Committee candidates running for six At-Large positions. Due to this, the Nominations Committee has chosen to re-open the filing period for At-Large candidates, which will be open from Sunday, December 8th to Thursday, December 12th at 11:59PM. Please submit your candidacy for the At-Large position here [please note if you have already submitted your candidacy, you do not need to resubmit]. In addition to new candidate statements being emailed out to the membership, this page will be updated on Friday, December 13th with submitted candidate statements.
- Due to the At-Large Steering Committee filing period being re-opened until December 12th, the Nominations Committee has chosen to delay the voting period. The new voting period will now be from Saturday, December 14th - Saturday, December 21st at 11:59PM.
- Friday, November 29th - Candidate filing period opens. You can submit your candidacy for a position on the DSA-LA Steering Committee or Branch Coordinator by filling out the form here.
- Wednesday, December 4th at 11:59 p.m. - Candidate filing period closes.
- Thursday, December 5th - Final candidate list and statements released to membership.
- UPDATE: Friday, December 6th - Extension of the candidate filing period for the position of Treasurer.
- Sunday, December 8th -
- Candidates Forum from 3:30 - 5:30PM at First Unitarian Church of LA. Please RSVP here.
- UPDATE: Re-open filing period for the position of Steering Committee At-Large.
- Voting period opens. Ballots go out via email to all members in good standing.
- Sunday, December 15th at 11:59 p.m. - Voting period closes.
- UPDATE: Thursday, December 12th at 11:59PM - Filing period for the position of Steering Committee At-Large closes.
- UPDATE: Saturday, December 14th - Voting period opens. Ballots go out via email to all members in good standing.
- UPDATE: Saturday, December 21st at 11:59PM - Voting period closes.
Please RSVP here. The forum will be held on the Sunday, December 8th at 3:30PM at First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles. This is a chance to get to know our candidates who are running and for members to ask questions directly to candidates. Questions for candidates can be submitted in advance by emailing email@example.com.
We will make the event available via live-stream for members who can not attend. Please RSVP in order to receive the live-stream link.
We plan to make child watch available at the forum. For those who are interested in volunteering for child watch, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The DSA-LA Local Officer Elections will be using ranked-choice voting, specifically modified Borda Count. The modified Borda Voting system was used for the 2018 and 2019 DSA-LA Local Officer elections. Voters rank candidates in order of preference and candidates are awarded points based on their ranking. An incomplete ballot results in all un-ranked candidates receiving an equal number of points (the number of points determined by the first rank not submitted by the voter).
For example, in this system, the voters will rank eight candidates in order of preference for six at-large positions on the DSA-LA Steering Committee. Your first choice vote will receive 8 points, your second choice vote will receive 7 points, descending down to 1 point for your eighth choice. If you were to submit an incomplete ballot ranking only three candidates, your first choice vote will receive 8 points, your second choice vote will receive 7 points, your third choice vote will receive 6 points, and each un-ranked candidates will receive 5 points. The points awarded to each candidate will be tallied. The top six point-getters will make up the at-large body of the Steering Committee.
LOCAL OFFICER POSITIONS
Please click here for the candidate statements for Branch Coordinators.
The Branch Coordinators will serve a one-year term until January 2021. At least two Branch Coordinators may be elected for each of the three Branches (Central, Valley and Westside), for a total of at least six Branch Coordinators. Please click here for an overview of the duties of the Branch Coordinators.
Please click here for the candidate statements for Steering Committee.
The Steering Committee will serve a one-year term until January 2021. The Steering Committee is comprised of a Recording Secretary, Communications Director, Treasurer, and six At-Large Members. As well, the YDSA Coordinator position is also up for election.
The Steering Committee is the highest elected body. It shall administer the affairs and oversee the implementation of the decisions of the DSA-LA membership, ensuring that the Local’s work is done in alignment with the Local Mission and Organizational Priorities and the Local Bylaws. It may propose policies and activities to the membership; receives reports from committees and Branches; advises committees and Branches on policy issues; calls emergency meetings of the membership; and acts on any matter requiring immediate attention by DSA-LA. Please click here for an overview of the duties of the Steering Committee.
Please click here for the candidate statement for YDSA Coordinator.
The YDSA Coordinator will serve a one-year term until January 2021. Though elected by the chapter, the YDSA Coordinator is not a member of the DSA-LA Steering Committee. The YDSA Coordinator shall be responsible for maintaining a network of coordinators and representatives from YDSA Locals across Los Angeles, as well as extending that network to include nearby regional DSA and YDSA Locals. They shall be responsible for ensuring that YDSA Locals have abundant avenues to work in solidarity with the Local’s work, as well as to request resources and support from the Local for YDSA Local-led campaigns and initiatives.