It’s time to elect a new leadership body! In December, DSA Los Angeles will be holding elections for the next Steering Committee and Branch Coordinator terms, which begins in January 2020. The new Steering Committee and Branch Coordinators will help lead the chapter throughout 2020.
- Friday, November 29th - Candidate filing period opens. You can submit your candidacy for a position on the DSA-LA Steering Committee or Branch Coordinator by filling out the form here.
- Wednesday, December 4th at 11:59 p.m. - Candidate filing period closes.
- Thursday, December 5th - Final candidate list and statements released to membership.
- UPDATE: Friday, December 6th - Extension of the candidate filing period for the position of Treasurer.
- Sunday, December 8th -
- Candidates Forum from 3:30 - 5:30PM at First Unitarian Church of LA. Please RSVP here.
- UPDATE: Re-open filing period for the position of Steering Committee At-Large.
- Voting period opens. Ballots go out via email to all members in good standing.
- Sunday, December 15th at 11:59 p.m. - Voting period closes.
- UPDATE: Thursday, December 12th at 11:59PM - Filing period for the position of Steering Committee At-Large closes.
- UPDATE: Saturday, December 14th - Voting period opens. Ballots go out via email to all members in good standing.
- UPDATE: Saturday, December 21st at 11:59PM - Voting period closes.
On Sunday, December 8th, DSA-LA held a Candidate's Forum in order to get to know our candidates who are running and for members to ask questions directly to candidates. You can review a recording of the Candidate's Forum here.
MEMBER STATEMENTS & ENDORSEMENTS
Member statements or endorsements of candidates can be viewed here.
The DSA-LA Local Officer Elections will be using ranked-choice voting, specifically modified Borda Count. The modified Borda Voting system was used for the 2018 and 2019 DSA-LA Local Officer elections. Voters rank candidates in order of preference and candidates are awarded points based on their ranking. An incomplete ballot results in all un-ranked candidates receiving an equal number of points (the number of points determined by the first rank not submitted by the voter).
For example, in this system, the voters will rank eight candidates in order of preference for six at-large positions on the DSA-LA Steering Committee. Your first choice vote will receive 8 points, your second choice vote will receive 7 points, descending down to 1 point for your eighth choice. If you were to submit an incomplete ballot ranking only three candidates, your first choice vote will receive 8 points, your second choice vote will receive 7 points, your third choice vote will receive 6 points, and each un-ranked candidates will receive 5 points. The points awarded to each candidate will be tallied. The top six point-getters will make up the at-large body of the Steering Committee.
LOCAL OFFICER POSITIONS
Please click here for the candidate statements for Branch Coordinators.
The Branch Coordinators will serve a one-year term until January 2021. At least two Branch Coordinators may be elected for each of the three Branches (Central, Valley and Westside), for a total of at least six Branch Coordinators. Please click here for an overview of the duties of the Branch Coordinators.
Please click here for the candidate statements for Steering Committee.
The Steering Committee will serve a one-year term until January 2021. The Steering Committee is comprised of a Recording Secretary, Communications Director, Treasurer, and six At-Large Members. As well, the YDSA Coordinator position is also up for election.
The Steering Committee is the highest elected body. It shall administer the affairs and oversee the implementation of the decisions of the DSA-LA membership, ensuring that the Local’s work is done in alignment with the Local Mission and Organizational Priorities and the Local Bylaws. It may propose policies and activities to the membership; receives reports from committees and Branches; advises committees and Branches on policy issues; calls emergency meetings of the membership; and acts on any matter requiring immediate attention by DSA-LA. Please click here for an overview of the duties of the Steering Committee.
Please click here for the candidate statement for YDSA Coordinator.
The YDSA Coordinator will serve a one-year term until January 2021. Though elected by the chapter, the YDSA Coordinator is not a member of the DSA-LA Steering Committee. The YDSA Coordinator shall be responsible for maintaining a network of coordinators and representatives from YDSA Locals across Los Angeles, as well as extending that network to include nearby regional DSA and YDSA Locals. They shall be responsible for ensuring that YDSA Locals have abundant avenues to work in solidarity with the Local’s work, as well as to request resources and support from the Local for YDSA Local-led campaigns and initiatives.