The DSA-LA Bylaws establish an Annual Convention as the highest legislative body of the Local. Scheduled for Saturday, April 28, 2018 at Friendship Auditorium, this year’s Annual Convention is an opportunity for the Local to come together to reflect on the past year’s work, collectively refine our governing documents, and set priorities for the coming year.
As a Local, we aim to exist along organizational lines developed and led by members—not an order imposed on members from above. Our governing processes reflect this deep commitment to democratic participation at all levels, and to this end, the Steering Committee is opening a call for Proposed Amendments to our Local Bylaws and Organizational Priorities and Chapter Resolutions in advance of our upcoming Annual Convention.
Timeline for Submission of Proposed Amendments and Chapter Resolutions
This timeline complies with the requirements for amendments outlined in Article XIV of the DSA-LA Bylaws.
- January 28th: Call opens for Proposed Amendments to Local Bylaws, Organizational Priorities, and Chapter Resolutions
- February 28th: Call for member submissions closes (2 months in advance of the Annual Convention, per Article XIV) at midnight
- March 28th: The Steering Committee makes Proposed amendments and Chapter Resolutions available for members to review (1 month in advance of the Annual Convention, per Article XIV)
- April 28th: Annual Convention: Proposed Amendments and Chapter Resolutions are debated and voted on according to Robert's Rules of Order Simplified (+ other exciting programing!)
Guidelines for Submissions
Amendments to the DSA-LA Bylaws & Organizational Priorities
Each proposed amendment must be submitted to the Steering Committee by email at steeringcommittee(at)dsa-la.org by midnight on February 28, 2018 and include the following components to be considered for review by the chapter:
- Article # and title of bylaws provision you wish to amend or add
- Lead contact
- Names, emails, and phone numbers of 25 members in good standing who endorse the proposed amendment (can include lead contact)
- Proposed in-line edits or additional text of the proposed amendment or organizational priority
- For bylaws amendments, the Organizational Priorities with which this proposed amendment is aligned, and the motivation for the amendment (Maximum 500 words)
*For reference, member feedback on potential amendments to the bylaws (shared during the bylaws review process last fall) can be found here.
Proposals for Chapter Resolutions
Chapter Resolutions are time-bound, large-scale structural and/or campaign-based efforts that require major Local resources. Like proposed amendments to the Bylaws and the Organizational Priorities, Chapter Resolutions must be made by written resolution, endorsed by 25 members in good standing. Unlike amendments to the Bylaws, Chapter Resolutions do not become enshrined in our governing documents, and are undertaken over the course of the subsequent year. Only three Chapter Resolutions will be approved at the Annual Convention.
Each proposed Chapter Resolution must be submitted to the Steering Committee by email at steeringcommittee(at)dsa-la.org by midnight on February 28, 2018 and include the following components to be considered for review by the chapter:
- Title of Chapter Resolution
- Lead contact:
- Names, emails, and phone numbers of 25 members in good standing who endorse the proposed resolution (can include lead contact)
Proposed Chapter Resolution and Justification:
- Component 1 (500 words max): Description of the Chapter Resolution, including a detailed timeline, and Local resources required. Local resources include, but are not limited to: chapter’s monetary resources, members’ monetary resources, member mobilization and time, political capital, and production of materials.
- Component 2 (500 words max): Organizational Priorities with which this proposed resolution is aligned and motivation for the resolution.
- Component 3: Across all applicable Committee and Working Group platforms, identify relevant goals which this resolution supports and advances.
We look forward to seeing everyone's vision for DSA-LA! More Convention information to come.